Buying A Battery For Your Car Here’s What You Need To Know
The car battery is one of the most important components of your car. Car batteries provide the necessary power to the electrical circuitry and electrical components of your car. It gives the necessary energy to get the car started. Apart from this, car batteries are required to keep the engine, headlights, indicator lights, speedometer, the radio, air conditioners and so on running while you drive your car. Since a car battery is such a crucial part of your car, it is vital that you buy a battery that has a long life, gives a good performance, and is reliable. While installing any battery in your car, ensure that there is a substantial warranty period and that the battery has received good reviews. You can find reliable reviews on car batteries in auto magazines, online consumer forums, and online car review websites.
Here are a few things to know before you go to buy car batteries.
Which are the most popular car batteries?
- Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery
- Optima Batteries 8040-218 D35 YellowTop Dual Purpose Battery
- Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM Battery
- ACDelco 94RAGM Professional AGM Automotive BCI Group 94R Battery
- Optima Batteries 8004-003 34/78 RedTop Starting Battery
- Pep Boys
Which online retailers sell car batteries?
- Batteries plus Bulbs
How much should be spent on car batteries?
- The cost of car batteries depends on the size and the brand.
- The average costs range from $80 to $160.
- There are also cheaper car batteries available in the market, some of which are refurbished. However, their performance is not very reliable.
How long do car batteries run?
- The average life of car batteries can be anywhere from 4 to 5 years.
- There are some cases where car batteries last for up to 10 years. However, this is quite rare.
Why do car batteries break down?
- It has been observed that driving habits are the more common reasons for car battery failure than defects in the battery.
- Leaving the headlights or indicator lights on for long hours, even when the car is not in use, can drain the battery. This is mostly caused due to human error.
- Some parts of your car such as security alarm, radio presets and clock of your car continue to run even when the key is not in the ignition. This is known as a parasitic drain. A little amount of parasitic drain does not cause any problems. A problem occurs when there is an electrical problem that causes parasitic drain and causes battery failure.
- If the charging system is faulty, the charge in the car battery can deplete quickly causing battery breakdown.
- When car batteries are older than 4 or 5 years, they will not charge fully. Worn out car batteries tend to deplete faster causing them to break down often.
What are the common warning signs of a failing battery?
- The cranking of the engine becomes sluggish whenever the car is started. The car takes more time to start.
- The check engine light is on indicating that the battery is causing problems.
- The battery case becomes swollen and looks bloated.
- A pungent smell may emanate from your battery when it in the verge of failing.
Which places should be avoided while buying car batteries?
- Avoid online retailers that sell recycled batteries at cheap costs. These batteries do not have any warranty.
- Do not buy car batteries from roadside gas stations. These usually have older models of batteries that will not be compatible with your car and may cause damage to the car when used.